Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How it all began...

"Writing has traditionally been another item on my to-do list, one which I am not very good at. I rarely enjoyed it and found better ways of documenting experiences such as talking to friends or family."

That was how I started my first field note of the second year of medical school. Part of that is still true - I am still not all that great of a writer. However, as time has gone on, I have found myself to enjoy writing more and more.

Medical school comes with a lot of exciting memories and experiences, and after being inspired by reading several medical blogs, I have decided to start writing one of my own. Why? Simply, because I decided that it would be a fun venture and a nice way to reflect on my experiences. I will probably also write about some of my other interests and how I continue to try and pursue them in med school (and find ways to procrastinate through them) - these include traveling, cricket, bollywood etc etc.


Why now? Well, it is exactly one month before I am done with the pre-clinical portion of my medical career, and then the mighty USMLE Step 1 exam is next (in terms of the importance of this exam, lets just say that this is the Cricket World Cup of Medical School). I have found myself increasingly wanting to document this experience as I anticipate it to be a stressful yet very rewarding one. My hope will be to continue to write as I progress through the different stages of medicine...

I ended that same field note with the following comment - and perhaps this blog is one way of following through with what I said earlier.

"So whether my writing improves or stays the same, I know I will be doing more of it and I look forward to reading these pieces in the future."


0 comments:

blogger templates |